Columbia Gas Customer Reporting Suspicious Calls
Posted on July 21, 2017
ALERT! Over the past few days, unknown callers have been contacting customers claiming to be affiliated with Columbia Gas of Ohio. The calls are a pre-recorded message asking customers to call a phone number and provide information from a recent billing statement. These calls are NOT from us.
Here are a few tips to protect yourself and your personal information from these suspicious calls:
• Call us first – If you are not sure about a phone call, e-mail, program, offer or person claiming to be affiliated with Columbia Gas of Ohio, please call our Customer Care Center at 1-800-344-4077.
• Guard your personal information – Never give personal information, including Social Security numbers and banking information, to unconfirmed sources. We only ask for a Social Security number when establishing new service or verifying a customer’s identity.
• Know your payment options – We will never ask for a pre-paid debit card or money gram as a payment method. Learn more about our payment options so you can spot a potential scammer.
If someone visits your home:
• Ask to see ID – Our employees and contractors carry photo ID badges and will gladly show you upon request. Ask them for ID before allowing them in your home.
• Use caution with cash – Our employees do not collect cash payments nor deliver cash refunds or rebates to customers at home. Refrain from sending cash through the mail to prevent loss or theft.
Stay safe with our safety ground rules.